Starting out as a stylist can be tasked with so many sewing supplies list to put to mind. At the beginner’s level, you get easily confused with a lot of challenges identifying or organizing your sewing supplies and tools. The task to remember virtually all the sewing supplies and tools is further made demanding the need to identify and remember the uses of each tool.
This guide is written with unambiguous terms to provide direction, help, and guidance as you take out time to start practicing what you are learning or have learned. It is important to say that while some of these essential sewing supplies are fun to use and can be easily identified, quite a few numbers of others can be really demanding. However, I encourage you to relax, calm your nerves, because that’s the whole point of sewing. Right?
We would do a breakdown of all the sewing supplies and tools, simplifying it for easy learning and comprehension. Below is a detailed explanation of both the basic and the essential tools to make your learning easier.
Sewing Supplies And Essential Tools For Beginners
The pin is one of the essential sewing supplies for beginners. Due to its constant demand when working, you would get your hands on it often when sewing.
Types Of Pins
There are several types of pins, each having a specific purpose of usage.
Additionally, these pins vary in size and are called by different names. Some examples of pins include beading pins, T-pins, dressmaker pins, pleating pins, applique pins, bridal and lace pins, patchwork pins, silk pins and a handful of several others. You may be wondering what makes them different since they are all used for the same general purpose. Well, bare with me.
The beading pin is about 14mm in size and 22mm long. The distinguishing difference between this pin and others is the exceptional wide head which makes it easy for you to hold beads. The T-Pin is also about 0.75mm in size and 32mm long. To easily differentiate the T-Pin from others, check out for the bent head similar to ‘T-shape’.
The Dressmaker pin, on the other hand, is quite common and most probably you have seen it on several occasions, hence familiar with it. It has a size that average 17-20mm and 27mm long. The dressmaker pin is different from the silk pin in that, it is used for light or medium-weight dresses while the silk pin though smaller in size (0.5mm) and longer in length than the dressmaker pin (37mm) is used for lightweight cloth. In addition, a silk pin comes with a glass head to prevent it from melting while you iron your cloth.
There are several numbers of pins as earlier mentioned, many of which have a pointed end hence a need to be cautious in order not to sustain any injury.
Could there be a preventive measure or solution to this? Yes, pin cushion.
The numerous number of pin types also implies that arranging them would be backbreaking.
In the middle of this worry comes your answer; the pincushion. The pincushion serves as a firsthand tool to help organize your pins and aid orderliness. You sure know where to get them back if you need them.
- Set of 2 handheld seam rippers with comfort grips – 1 large, 1 small
- Use for picking threads, opening stitched buttonholes and removing buttons and snaps
- Necessary item for any seamstress’ tool kit, used to alter or repair stitches without harming fabric
- Blue and white rubber comfort grip handle is easy to hold and maneuver
- Comes with rubber tip and lid for user safety and tool protection
As a beginner just starting out to become a professional, mistakes are inevitable. The mistakes could come in the diverse form and hence looking for the solution becomes your worry.
When you make a mistake while sewing, fear not, the seam ripper is right there to help you out. Mistakes such as stitching the wrong side of the clothes together or perhaps joining both the right and left sleeves together. In situations like this, you are likely on your search for scissors to correct the mistake.
However, careful observation shows that you could damage the fabrics of the clothes but the seam rippers would perform this task perfectly without causing damage to the seam of the fabric.
The seam ripper has higher accuracy to slide between the fabrics layer and the seam hence it’s pretty easy to dock it.
- Ultra-press Stainless Steel Soleplate - Thick chromium finish soleplate for durability, scratch resistance and unparalleled glide; specially designed steam distribution is perfect for sewers, quilters and crafters.
- Easy Thermostat Control & Axial Steam Holes - Based on fabric type, you can easily select the ideal steam output and keep the temperature how you like it. The placement, alignment and size of our steam holes gives you the maximum amount of steam required while maintaining even heat distribution throughout the soleplate.
- Cut Your Ironing Time In Half - With our Rapid Even Heat Technology and 1700-Watts of Power you can easily glide across various garments and smooth hard-to-reach areas. Our PurSteam steam iron provides you with ideal temperatures for cotton, wool, silk, linen, polyester, nylon and more.
- Safety Features - Keeping you safe at all times with our automatic 3-way shut off system, avoiding accidents and burnt clothes. With our new Anti-Drip feature you don't have to worry about water dripping out of the soleplate at low temperatures or when the iron is not in use. ANTI-CALC prevents mineral build up.
- Unsurpassed Quality/ Live Customer Support - Water drops in the tank? Do not fear! This just means your PurSteam steam iron was thoroughly tested before arriving at your home. Our rigorous testing process ensures the best quality possible. Each and every iron is filled with water and tested to make sure it works perfectly! And our support will make sure you're 100% satisified!
Iron is one of the essential sewing supplies for beginners. Its purpose varies depending on the time of usage.
You may need to iron the fabrics before the cut to aid creativity after sowing. Ironing the seam before cutting is a worthy preventive measure to avert future danger. A seam that is neatly ironed before cutting makes it easy to join hems with precision and accuracy.
In addition, ironing fabrics after sewing bring out the creative touch on the cloth. It is, however, important to note that a varying degree of heat is needed for ironing different cloth fabrics. You should check out for the heat degree indication on the front while pressing the fabrics.
- Precise Cutting, Value Packing: 8 Inch Scissors Bulk Set of 5-Pack are 3X harder than stainless steel scissors and remain sharp for 100,000 cuts. Surpassing stainless steel. Corrosion resistant blades stay sharper longer. 5 pack of straight handled scissors for smooth, efficient cutting sissors for general use.
- Comfortable Use: Soft-grip handles for comfortable use, can be used left- or right-handed.Adjustable stainless-steel blade pivot for strength and smooth opening and closing.Work perfectly,and are comfortable in your hand. Can be used as scissors for office, scissors for school, scissors for home, 8 scissors, scissors bulkCraft scissors, fabric Scissors, heavy duty scissors, scissors pack, Left scissors, sharp scissors, sewing scissors, cutting patterns, alterations, hand craft.
- Multi-purpose Scissors: Taotree sturdy and super sharp scissors, Great for cutting burlap, cutting paper, photos, cardboard, tape, light line, leather, fabric and other materials, Perfect for sewing, tailoring, quilting, dressmaking, cutting patterns, alterations, hand craft.comfortable to use in office, craft room, in the study, school, kitchen, household, in the bathroom, on the dresser, in the laundry room, mail room, craft room, at the office or other occasions.
- 8 Inch Scissors: Taotree Scissors are Convenient, sturdy, especially sharp scissors for general use, very durable.Lightweight yet durable enough for any cutting job. Scissors are ideal for paper, cardboard, lightweight line, fabric and other materials. 5 special scissors are suitable for most items that need to be cut. especially sharp scissors, very durable, Easy to use.
- Premium Multipurpose Scissors: Measures approximately 8 by 3.0 by 0.4 inches, keep out of reach of children. It is also Grate Back to School, Christmas gift, Birthday gift, Mother's Day, Painting, Easter Day, Valentine's Day, Thanksgiving Day, Party, Happy New Year's Gift Idea.
A detailed explanation of the various types of scissors that exist would be provided here. A scissors is needed for cutting fabrics and performing quite a number of other actions.
Types Of Scissors
There are different types of scissors a few of which would be simplified in this article.
- Sewing Scissors: As a beginner, the use of sewing scissors is one of those you cannot run away from. There is a constant need to cut fabrics, hence its use is inevitable. I recommend that you keep the blade of your scissors sharp always because a dull blade would chomp your fabrics. In addition, endeavor to stay clear of cutting fabrics with paper as it dulls scissors blade.
- General-Use Scissors: There are moments you would need to cut papers, metals or plastics. The general-use scissors are made to serve this specific purpose.
- Pinking Shears: Fabric shears are designed with a sawtooth to enable it to cut in a zig-zag manner. The sawtooth design is to prevent it from wear off. In addition, the pinking shears serve as an alternative to overlook machine.
- Embroidery Snips: This, unlike other types of scissors, does not have a loophole for the finger. It is designed with pointed tips. It is highly referenced for its precision on getting close to the thread base without causing any damage to the cloth.
- Button Hole Scissors: The use of buttonhole scissors is limited and specific. It’s the right sewing tool for opening up buttonholes. The scissors are designed to give room for readjustment and it is made of a short blade to align with its purpose.
- Applique Scissors: When the desire to trim your clothes comes tickling, get your applique scissors at hand. The applique scissors are made for purposes such as cutting or trimming areas close to where the fabrics were stitched without causing damage to the fabrics. Its design includes a paddle-shaped blade and a handle to justify its purpose.
There are also other types of scissors depending on the design such as the bent scissors known for its high precision.
- Classic Loop 45mm Rotary Cutter : high-grade, precision-ground, 45 mm stainless steel rotary blade for long-lasting sharpness curved, loop-handle design provides a natural fit for your hand, improves control and lets you keep the loop rotary cutter in hand while you rearrange materials.
- Ergonomic 45mm Rotary Cutter: The 45mm rotary cutter is ergonomically designed to reduce joint fatigue. The blades can also be installed on both sides of the rotary cutter, perfect for both right- and left-handed users.
- Safe Rotary Cutter: Your safety is our top priority. The rotary cutter is designed with a safety button to lock the blade.
- More Affordable: Nicapa 45mm rotary cutter is equiped 5 extra replacement blades, you can use more times
- Multipurpose: Nicapa rotary cutter is fit for cutting multiple layers of fabric, paper, felt and vinyl.
The rotary cutter is one of the essential sewing tools for beginners you would found handy if you work often on silk materials. The rotary cutter has a rotating circular blade plus a handle.
As expected, you want to scribe some creativity and patterns on the fabrics, I reckon that the rotary cutter is one of the essential sewing tools you will have to fall in love with to make your dream a reality.
In addition, it also comes in different sizes such as those with smaller blades and larger blades. The smaller blades are good for cutting smaller curves while the larger blades rotary cutter can be trusted for cutting large curves.
Hand Sewing Needles
- 50 Needles In Assorted Sizes, Each Size In A Transparent Storage Tube
- Sizes: 10x1.6", 10x1.8", 10x2", 10x2.2" And 10x2.35"
- Big Eye Hand Sewing Needles And Small Tip
- Made Of Strong Iron Alloy, Sturdy And Durable
- This Big-Eye Needles Are Perfect For Stitching, Sewing And Hand-Made Projects.
Hand sewing needles are your companion as a beginner. The hand sewing needles come in different size and the size determines the type of fabrics it would be used for. On the pack are two numbers indicating the needle size both in the American and the European measurement.
The smaller number indicates that the needle is fine and is suitable for sewing fabrics such as silk, while the larger numbers are for heavy-weight fabrics. An example of a measurement that read 80/12 would be interpreted such that the 80 represents the European dimension broken down into 0.8mm in diameter while the 12 is the American representation of the needle size. The American measurement ranges from 8 to 19.
In addition, sewing needles come with different hole sizes hence, you should watch out for the needle hole while choosing your desired thread.
- Reliable material: these thimble finger protectors are made of faux leather with dimpled metal coin disc, sturdy and anti wear, practical design ensures they are sweat absorbent and breathable during the sewing, bring you a nice using experience
- Function: mainly served for protecting your fingers when sewing, the needle will hit the metal disc of the thimble, provide you good protection and keep your fingers safe
- Size information: one package includes 2 sizes for your choices, M size is 3 cm/ 1.2 inch in width, L size is 3.6 cm/ 1.4 inch in width, please check the pictures for more size information, suitable for most people fingers, nice shape can fit you better
- Nice gift: ideal as a gift on Mother's Day, Christmas, Thanksgiving and other festivals for your mothers, sisters, friends and those who are craft lovers, protect them well from sewing needle with good comfort, they will love this sweet gift
- Package includes: comes with 4 pieces of leather coin thimble finger protectors in 2 sizes, each size has 2 pieces, enough quantity for your use and replacement
A thimble is similar to a bucket. Its usage is most common when using hand to sew. A thimble is an attractive object that can be in the form of metal, plastic or perhaps leather. Thimbles are designed for a specific purpose; to protect your hands against getting injured while sewing garments with your hands.
- 2 Pack Soft Fashion Pink & Retractable Black Measuring Tape Set. Double-sided, 60-inch / 150 cm, portable,durable tape measure. Small and light pocket-size measuring tape.
- Easy to Read and Accurate Measurements. The tape measure has accurate, large and clear markings in both inches and centimeters, easy and convenient to read. Wide Application on Home Office School Supplies: Cloth tape measure; body tape measure, sewing tape measure, measuring tape for body, waist tape measure, tailor tape measure. Great measuring tape for body, sewing, tailoring, weight loss, ordering clothes online, waist measurement or measuring any curved surface.
- NOTE: The black tape measure is retractable. There is a retract button in the center, just press on the button when pulling the tape out or retracting the tape back into it, or there will be loud noise.
- Package includes one soft fashion pink tape measure and one retractable black tape measure. Perfect multipurpose measuring tape for body fabric sewing tailor cloth knitting craft measurements. Great gift idea for family friends coworkers seamstress. (Retractable Black Measuring Tape, Size 2 x 2 x 0.5 inches, weight 0.7oz, portable and easy to carry or put into your bag.)
The measuring tape is one of the essential sewing tools for beginners hence its use is ubiquitous. It is one of the basic sewing supplies and its use involves taking a precise measurement of the fabrics to be cut and stitched. The measuring tape is mostly used in taking straight measurements because its precision is affected when a curved measurement is desired.
- MULTICOLOR NEEDLE THREADERS: The package includes assorted needle threaders of different colors. Bright colors make them easy to see and you will find them easily. Random colors are delivered.
- GOOD QUALITY STEEL WIRE: The steel wire is soft and flexible to use, thin and long, which is easy to go through most kinds of needle eye holes.
- FOR BOTH HAND AND MACHINE: These threaders are suitable for threading a needle, especially easy for threading those needles with small needle eye, good for a sewing project and jewelry making.
- CLEAR BOX: Convenient for storing and keeping the needle threaders in place, you can get them quickly when you needed.
- WHAT YOU GET: Phinus Needle Threaders 24 PCS, our 7*24 friendly customer service for peace of mind.
As needles come in varying sizes, so also is the hole for threading. Now, here is the real deal about needle threader: needle threader makes threading easy and effortless for you.
As a beginner, a needle threader is one of those essential sewing supplies you must keep in your collection due to the onstage need for usage.
The needle threader comes in various forms. However, the most common form is coined to form a diamond shape. It also has a fine length of wire attached to it with one part held at a corner by a plastic or tinplate.
- Mark easily and line very clearly:Tailors Chalk neither too hard, nor too soft,gently press,mark easily and line very clearly, works good on garments, quilting pieces and other textile project fabrics.
- Professional Tailor Chalk Triangle advantages：1.Makes lines,points and tiny makers 2.Marking precision,move smoothly, creates a smooth,clear, straight line. 3.Made of kaolin clay,not wax,It is easier wash off. 4.it doesn’t leave a lot of extra dust on the lines while marking,And won't get your hands dirty. 5.Almost compatible with all fabric:work great on cotton, leather,felt, suede and synthetic fibers.it's best to stick to the classics
- Sew Heat Erasable Fabric Marking Pens,4 COLOR SET lets you mark on various colors of fabrics, or to color-code marks to indicate different stitches or thread colors. Includes red, white, blue and black gel pens all of your needlecraft projects.
- Sewing Fabric Pencil:these water soluble pencils will be your helpful assistants during your sewing work process, they can help you to leave sewing marks on the fabric easily, the cap has a brush, which will lighten the trace mark if you make a mistake but doesn’t erase it.this pen is more suitable for rough fabrics
- Package Included:10 Pieces Tailors Chalk,,4PCS Heat Erasable Fabric Marking Pens with 4 Refills,3 PCS Sewing Fabric Pencils.3 different fabric chalk makers,each has advantages,they are more practical than you need.Purpose:tailor,dressmaker draw line/make mark Leather tailor,shoe making,Handmade.
You are almost impossible to make complete sewing of fabrics without having to mark out areas to be cut. The tailor’s chalk is often made in the form of a crayon and comes in different colors. In addition, it may be in a rectangular shape and is often used to make a temporary mark on fabrics to aid precision and accuracy when cutting.
- Brand New Anti-cutting Though Interlayer: Super flexible than recycled black inter layer, Idemeet mat can resist a wider temperature range and can stay intact even after repeated use.
- Upgraded Multi-layer Compound Process: Made of 5-layer first-quality PVC, Idemeet sewing cutting mat adopt a newly multi-layer compound process, which achieved high mechanical strength and better cracking resistance.
- Self Healing Surface: Double side self-healing coating, easier to deal with rotary cut. The glossy and smooth surface provides a non-slip, non-glare worktop, ideal for artists, crafters, quilters, engravers, and hobbyists.
- Easy-to-read Scale Mark: Double-sided printing design, Idemeet cutting board is clearly printed with inches, metric grid lines, and angles. A must-have invaluable aid for cutting, quilting, modeling, and crafting.
- About Idemeet: OEM original equipment manufacturer, professional quality management system with the unmatched price. 30-day no hassle returns & 12 months replacement warranty, 100% satisfied service.
The self-healing mat is one of the essential supplies for beginners that makes your fabrics cutting surface constantly neat and free from damage.
Types Of Self-Healing Mat
When using a rotary cutter, the use of a self-healing mat would help you prevent the blade from quick dulling. Now you begin to worry…Does self-healing mat vary in size or texture? Yes, self-healing mats come in a different texture. There is both the soft and hard surface self-healing mat.
The hard-surface self-healing mat is rigid and more rugged while the soft-surface self-healing mat is thinner and more flexible. Both types of self-healing mats are suitable for all purposes.
The self-healing mats also come in different sizes, with some small while others are big. I recommend that you choose the size that best suits the type and size of fabrics you want to cut.
In addition, the self-healing mats come in varying thickness although, the most common types are between 2mm to 3mm.
When cutting, the cutting blades make a thin, faint line on the self-healing mat. However, they disappear after a few periods of time, hence the name derived – self-healing mat.
On A Final Note
Your sewing supplies list would be ever-increasing. However, it is expedient that you keep a close tab on the existing one and monitor it as it continues to grow due to your acquisition of additional knowledge and experience.
Having to remember all of the names on the supplies list as a beginner is tasking. However, if it is explained in simple terms with insight given on how to keep them to heart, it becomes easy. This guide is written to do exactly that.
Without much ado, there are several essential sewing tools for beginners and with this guide, you should be on your way to becoming a pro as learning becomes effortless and fun.