1. What Is A Sewing Machine For Kids?
A sewing machine for kids will usually have fewer features in order to make sewing less complicated for children. They are also usually smaller than your average sewing machine, making them easy for small hands to handle.
2. Do I Need A Sewing Machine?
Sewing machines are some of the greatest tools to have around, and the art of sewing is something anyone can learn and potentially enjoy as a hobby. If you don’t already have a sewing machine on hand, then the answer is an emphatic “yes!” You’d be surprised at all the money you can save and clothing/accessories you can make once you learn the tricks of the trade.
How We Reviewed
In order to find the best sewing machine for kids, we had to perform extensive research to find the most popular machines on the market right now. This required us to learn the technical specifications of different machines and to read the opinions of people who have used them for significant amounts of time. After compiling all the information we gathered, we decided that the best parameters to judge these 10 machines on are simplicity, attractiveness, and ease of use.
What We Reviewed
- Ever Sewn Sparrow 30 Sewing Machine
- Brother Sewing Machine
- Janome 13512 Red Hello Kitty Sewing Machine
- SINGER | Talent 3323 Portable Sewing Machine
- SINGER | Start 1304 6 Built-in Stitches
- Janome Pink Sorbet Easy-to-Use Sewing Machine
- Brother Sewing Machine, SM1738D
- Meditool Sewing Machine
- Costway Sewing Machine
- SINGER | Simple 3223R Handy Sewing Machine
Ever Sewn Sparrow 30 Sewing Machine
- 310 stitch patterns including: 32 utility, 84 decorative & 2 full alphabets
- Memory function to save individual stitch combinations
- 7 Presser feet & extension table
- Stitch width up to 7 mm
- Value Price for Performance
The first sewing machine for kids we want to look at is the Sparrow 30 by Ever Sewn. The Sparrow 30 is a nice little sewing machine that exudes quality the moment you see it. Its digital functions make adjusting the way you sew extremely easy; both kids and adults will love this.
This machine gives you 310 stitch patterns and 2 full alphabets to work with. You can change the settings at a whim with the controls located right on the front of the unit. The controls themselves are easy to navigate, especially with the LCD screen there to let you know what adjustments you are making.
With the Sparrow 30, you get to enjoy all the essential features you would expect from a sewing machine plus more. It’s a high-quality machine that will hold up well over time.
Brother Sewing Machine
- 27 Unique built-in stitches: The XM2701 includes 27 built-in stitches including decorative, blind hem, zigzag, and stretch stitches and an auto-size buttonhole
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- Included accessories: The XM2701 comes with 6 sewing feet, 3-piece needle set, twin needle, 4 bobbins, instructional DVD, manual and more
- Versatile free arm: This free arm sewing machine is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing projects, and users from beginners to advanced
- At your side support: The XM2701 sewing machine comes with Brother At your side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
If you’re familiar with sewing machines, you’ve probably heard of Brother at some point in time. Brother has been making sewing machines for quite some time now, and their XM2701 is a kid-friendly machine that young sewers will love.
You get 27 stitch patterns to play around with on this machine, and they are extremely easy to select. And, instead of having digital controls and an LCD display like the Sparrow 30 we just reviewed, this one comes with a knob that you twist to select your preferred stitch pattern.
Included with this machine are 6 sewing feet and an instructional DVD that will help beginners start off on the right foot–no pun intended.
Janome 13512 Red Hello Kitty Sewing Machine
- 15 Stitches
- Adjustable Stitch Length
- Vertical Oscillating Hook Bobbin System
- Internal Aluminum Frame- Capable of Heavy Duty Sewing
- Left and Center Needle Position
Hello Kitty has won the hearts of children all over the world, and it’s for this reason that Janome’s 13512 Red Hello Kitty Sewing Machine is perfect for kids. This is a novelty item that children will adore. The machine is red with an image of Hello Kitty on the front, giving it a cute, child-like design.
Janome didn’t load this machine down with a ton of features, so kids shouldn’t have much trouble handling it. It does, however, give you 15 stitch patterns to tinker with that are adjustable via the knobs on the front of the unit. A simple twist of the knob gives you access to more advanced and unique patterns.
This is a bold sewing machine for kids that is unapologetic in its design. Owning a Hello Kitty sewing machine is a dream for kids who love both the popular cat and sewing at the same time. Having Hello Kitty right there with you makes sewing that much more fun.
SINGER | Talent 3323 Portable Sewing Machine
- SINGER HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: The 23 built-in stitches including basic, stretch, decorative, and buttonhole stitches allow you to sew a variety of projects, such as fashions, home décor, quilts, crafts, and more
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER SEWING MACHINE: After following the threading path printed right on the machine, this built-in feature helps you to effortlessly thread the eye of the needle without eye strain or frustration. Amps (0.7). Watts (84). Volts (120). Hz (60)
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE:The Singer 4423 Sewing Machine has a maximum sewing speed of 1, 100 stitches-per-minute, so projects can be sewn quickly. The 60% Stronger Motor provides greater piercing power for thick seams
- HEAVY DUTY METAL FRAME: The Singer 4423 heavy duty sewing machine is a true workhorse. With a heavy-duty metal interior frame, stainless steel bedframe, extra-high sewing speed and powerful motor, this sewing machine can sew through a variety of heavy weight fabrics and provides long lasting stability
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of accessories are included with All-purpose foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, seam ripper/lint brush, quilting guide, needles, bobbins, screwdriver, auxiliary spool pin, spool pin felt are all conveniently located and stored in the accessory tray. A soft-sided dust cover is also included in the packaging
Like Brother, SINGER has been around for ages and is famous for making reliable sewing machines. Their Talent 3323 machine is a great sewing machine for kids that provides all the basic sewing functions you need with a few extra features packed in.
Because it is designed to be portable, the machine is a little small. However, this is perfect for little hands that wouldn’t fare so well on a larger machine. There are 23 built-in stitches for you to choose from which can be selected by using the machine’s 2 rotating knobs.
You also get a bag of accessories with this SINGER machine, making starting out on it a breeze. You’ll get everything you need to get off the ground and running in no time.
SINGER | Start 1304 6 Built-In Stitches
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Start 1304 sewing machine is basic, simple, and easy-to-use thanks to 57 Stitch Applications, all with pre-set stitch width and stitch length. Just select your stitch and start sewing
- SINGER Start 1304 Start Free Arm Model Sewing Machine has 25 Year Limited
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE: This lightweight and portable machine weighs only 7 pounds, making it great for sewing in smaller spaces or taking to sewing class
- AUTOMATIC BOBBIN WINDING SEWING MACHINE: To wind a bobbin, simply follow the numbered diagram printed on top of the sewing machine. The bobbin will automatically stop turning when it's completely filled
- SINGER Start 1304 ACCESSORIES: Includes All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot, Darning Plate, Pack of Needles, Bobbins, Needle Plate Screwdriver, Spool Pin Felts, Seam Ripper / Lint Brush, Power Line Cord, Foot Control, Quick Start Guide, Instruction Manual. Amps: 0. 6
One of the most admirable qualities of SINGER is that they make sewing machines for hobbyists and professionals of all levels, leaving no stone unturned. Their Start 1304 is a machine that is made for extreme beginners with its simplistic design and basic controls.
This is a great machine to learn the art of sewing on. It is very minimal as far as features are concerned, as there are only 6 stitch patterns to choose from. This forces you to focus on sewing rather than worrying about changing your settings up here and there. You’ll learn the basics and graduate to more advanced sewing techniques more quickly this way.
Beginners who are not concerned with having a wide variety of stitch patterns will love this machine. If some simple sewing is your end game, the Start 1304 will take you there.
Janome Pink Sorbet Easy-to-Use Sewing Machine
- Portable, Compact Sewing Machine Perfect for beginners, alterations and sewing on the go
- 11 Built-In Stitches including straight, zigzag, crescent with two needle positions
- Free Arm, Accessory Storage, Easy Reverse and only five pounds
- Threading Diagrams & Top Drop-In Bobbin with clear cover makes for easy set-up
- Presser Foot with Finger Guard protects little fingers
According to Janome, their pink sorbet sewing machine was “made with beginners in mind,” and this is made evident with the beginner tools Janome decided to include with this sewing kit.
Along with 15 stitch options, this package comes with a 4-step buttonhole, 4 presser feet, a tutorial video, and other basic accessories. The tutorial video is especially useful for those who haven’t worked with a sewing machine before. It will teach you how to set everything up and get you started on your way to sewing your first garments in a flash.
Children will love that they can get this machine in 3 different colors: blue, green, and pink. These colors are super loud, but they make this unit attractive to young eyes and a great sewing machine for kids.
Brother Sewing Machine, SM1738D
- DISNEY FACEPLATES: The SM1738D Disney sewing machine comes with four interchangeable faceplates including Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Elsa from Frozen and classic Disney Princesses
- 17 UNIQUE BUILT-IN STITCHES: Choose from 17 built-in stitches including utility and decorative stitches, and an auto-size buttonhole
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: The SM1738D includes 4 sewing feet, 3-piece needle set, twin needle, 4 bobbins, a Disney dust cover, instructional DVD, manual and more
- VERSATILE FREE ARM: This free arm sewing machine is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing projects, and users from beginners to advanced
- AT YOUR SIDE SUPPORT: The SM1738D sewing machine comes with Brother At Your Side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
Much like the Janome sewing machine that featured an image of Hello Kitty, this one has a picture of the most popular cartoon character in existence: Mickey Mouse. It’s hard to pass up this machine, because–let’s be honest–who doesn’t like Mickey Mouse? Kids that love Disney will be enthralled with this machine.
This package actually comes with four interchangeable faceplates to choose from. They show images of Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Elsa (from Frozen), and the Disney princesses; you’re given the option to choose your favorite character(s) depending on your personal preferences.
Aside from looks alone, the machine comes bundled with several accessories and offers 17 different stitches to choose from. It has everything you need to begin sewing with a trouble-free start.
Costway Sewing Machine
- This item is not a professional sewing machine, it is only used for daily small sewing projects and DIY sewing.
- Your Second Sewing Machine: Low/high speed button is equipped for selection to keep safe and powerful. Easy to make craft, home sewing (e. g. lunch bag, apron).
- Small & Portable: Compared with traditional sewing machines, Luby small sewing machine does not occupy a large space and is very lightweight, easy to carry and works anytime, anywhere.
- 12 Built-In Stitches: Gently turn the knob to select the stitch, simply stitch out the style you like. It has a 4-step buttonhole presser foot for virtually perfect buttonholes sewing.
- Sewing Sleeves & Trousers: Take out the storage box, Luby sewing machine is perfect for sewing sleeves and trousers. It is also fit for a wide range of everyday sewing projects, and for advanced.
Costway’s sewing machine for kids is another blip that showed up on our radar–and for a good reason. This is a great machine to start children out on that won’t break the bank and won’t be much of a loss if it ends up malfunctioning. It does most of what other, pricier units can do at a lower cost.
You would think that with such a low price tag, this machine wouldn’t have many features. However, it surprisingly gives you 12 stitch patterns to choose from and several basic accessories to start out with.
The aspect of this sewing machine that makes it stand out the most is its ability to run off of batteries. If you need to sew on-the-go, you can power the machine with 4 AA’s.
SINGER Simple 3223R Handy Sewing Machine
- 12 preset stitch patterns simplify the learning curve for beginners, allowing them to complete more complex projects
- Choose between 2 speeds (high or low) and hand switch or foot pedal i suitable for sewing beginner and complex projects.
- with a built-in needle threader, adjustable stitch length and width, free arm, and on-board accessory storage
- perfect for craftspeople,small projects or DIY enthusiasts using at home.
- 1 Year Limited Warranty. It is necessary to read the instructions before use sewing machine.
The last sewing machine for kids that made it onto our list is another by Singer. Their Simple 3223R machine is one of their basic units that, although lacking advanced features, still meets SINGER’s quality standards.
This machine, available in both blue and pink, looks sleek, glossy, and simple. The controls on the unit are arranged in such a way that they don’t appear cluttered in the least bit. They are all easy to find and allow you to shuffle through the machine’s 23 built-in stitch patterns.
Singer has packaged this sewing machine with a number of accessories that all beginners will find useful.
After thinking long and hard about each of these sewing machines, we eventually concluded that the Brother SM1738D is the absolute best unit for kids. Upon first glance, the faceplates on this machine let you know that it is meant for kids; children can pick between 4 different faceplates and have their favorite Disney character displayed on the machine. The aesthetics of the unit alone help add excitement to the sewing experience for kids.
As far as functionality, the controls are simple to use. You can use a single knob on the front of the machine to select between 17 different stitch patterns. These patterns will give you plenty to experiment with once you have mastered the sewing basics and can help you to gradually learn new skills as your sewing level increases.
We believe the Brother SM1738D deserves a high rating, especially because it is meant for kids. Some of the other sewing machines were just too complicated, had too many features, or were just not built with a child’s way of thinking in mind.
If your child is looking to dip their feet into sewing, this Disney-themed machine is a great tool to start with. But, that is just our opinion. Which of these machines do you believe is the most appropriate for children?