If you’re looking for a small, light machine with enough features and accessories to tackle the tough sewing jobs, the Brother XM2701 should be on your list of options. It has a number of accessories, part of sewing machine packages that cost a great deal more.
Here is a full review of the XM2701 from Brother, including important specifications and standard accessories. There are some pros and cons, plus an overview of how others who have used this sewing machine feel about their experience.
About the Brother XM2701
Specifications and Description
- Stitches: 27 different built-in stitches, including decorative, blind hem, zigzag, and stretch stitches.
- Product size: 17.8 x 7.6 x 15.1 inches (45.2 x 19.3 x 38.4 centimeters)
- Product weight: 15.7 pounds (7.1 kilograms)
- Warranty: 25-year limited warranty
The Brother XM2701 is a very affordable machine that has a nice assortment of accessories and features. It’s a fine choice for a primary machine or a secondary portable unit. It weighs slightly more than 15 pounds, so it’s snap to load up and take with you.
You also don’t have to take up space with a sewing station, since you can conveniently store this machine. Brother confirms how durable and sturdy this machine is with a 25-year warranty.
When you follow a proper maintenance schedule, you’ll own this handy little sewing machine for a lifetime. It’s also a super machine for every beginner to learn how to sew. The XM2701 is versatile enough to sew delicate fabrics or handle thick, bulky projects.
You’ll be able to tackle a variety of sewing projects. The zigzag and stretch stitch patterns allow you to sew different types of material, including stretchy fabric. With a strong quality guarantee and at a very appealing price, you’ll be happy with this little workhorse sewing machine.
Standard Accessories & Features
- Automatic Needle Threading – You won’t have to struggle with threading the needle, a big problem for many beginners. There is a quick-touch lever that activates the automatic needle threader, which pushes the thread through the needle eye.
- Easy Load, Top Drop-in Bobbin – Loading bobbins can also be an issue for beginners. When you give the bobbin control a gentle push, it will wind up the bobbin for you automatically.
- Jam-Resistant Bobbin – This easy drop-in design also makes it simple to fix a jam.
- Easy Access Stitch Selector – You can change your stitch pattern with two fingers. It is perfectly located on the top of the machine.
- One-Step, Automatic Buttonholer – This is especially a useful feature for beginners. It helps take the guesswork out of sizing your buttonholes. All you do is push a button, and the XM2701 will make a perfect sized buttonhole.
- Instructional DVD – This is one of the most popular extra accessories. Even advanced users found it to be packed with useful tips and sewing techniques for this machine. Beginners found they could be sewing basic projects in a very short time. It is also bilingual.
- LED Work Light – Many machines have a lighted work area. However, the LED light on this machine seems to be far brighter than most. This was also a big help to beginners.
This is a straight stitch machine, with over 27 standard built-in stitch patterns. There is enough variety to handle almost any sewing project. There are decorative stitches, so you can perform intricate patterns.
- 27 Unique built-in stitches: The XM2701 includes 27 built-in stitches including decorative, blind hem, zigzag, and stretch stitches and an auto-size buttonhole
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- Included accessories: The XM2701 comes with 6 sewing feet, 3-piece needle set, twin needle, 4 bobbins, instructional DVD, manual and more
- Versatile free arm: This free arm sewing machine is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing projects, and users from beginners to advanced
- At your side support: The XM2701 sewing machine comes with Brother At your side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
Pros and Cons of the XM2701
Opinions About the Brother XM2701
The most prevalent opinion that other owners have for the XM2701 is how simple it is to use. It is an excellent beginner machine but still has enough power and accessories not to limit the type of sewing jobs too greatly.
For a beginner machine, even experienced sewers liked the large number of stitch options. Normally, small inexpensive machines have roughly a dozen built-in stitches, so the 27 options on this sewing machine prove very useful.
Beginners complained that the machine jammed at odd times, but that it was also very simple to release the jam. The biggest problem many owners expressed was the difficulty of sewing multiple layers or thick, heavy fabrics.
Overall, the owner opinions were extremely positive for the Brother XM2701. It is seen as a phenomenal machine for those just learning to sew. It also has enough extras that appeal to the more advanced users. Best of all, it is so lightweight that it is a perfect second machine to carry wherever you need.
How to Thread the Brother XM2701
Here you have a clip with the instructions you need when setting up the sewing machine that also includes a section on threading:
The XM2701 probably isn’t a strong enough sewing machine for intense professional sewing jobs. However, it is the perfect second machine and a super option for beginners. It’s lightweight, and best of all, very affordable. If you’ve used Brother XM2701, tell us what you think.
Top recommended read: