Today we will be taking a look at the top 7 options for the best sewing machine for beginners, and what attributes each option entails. The list will be composed by considering the most common traits in sewing machines for beginners; size, weight, warranty, and features. The products on the list are arranged to have the most well-rounded, easy-to-use machine as number 1, and the next best follow.
7. Singer 7258
- Stitches: 100 Built In, 76 Decorative Stitches
- Product size: 14.5 X 7.5 x 12 inches, 36.8 x 19 x 30.5 centimeters
- Product weight: 19 lbs, 8.6 kg
- Warranty: N/A
The Singer 7258 may be a great option for you if you are looking for a smaller sized machine. It also has a lot of built-in stitches compared to other models, which can be helpful for lengthy projects or mastering the basics. It also comes with a built-in automatic needle threader for those who struggle with those pesky needles.
6. Brother CS6000i
- 60 Unique built-in stitches: The Brother CS6000i includes 60 built-in sewing stitches, including decorative stitches and 7 styles of auto-size buttonholes
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing and quilting machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- Included accessories: The CS6000i includes a hard protective case, wide table, 10 sewing feet, needle set including twin needle, 3 bobbins and more
- LCD Screen: Easily select your stitches with the touch of a button and view your selections on the LCD display
- 25 Year limited warranty: The CS6000i is backed by a 25 year limited warranty with free technical support for the life of the product
- Stitches: 60 Built-In
- Product size: 16 X 6.7 x 11.4 inches, 40.6 x 17 x 29 centimeters
- Product weight: 13 lbs, 5.9 kg
- Warranty: N/A
This Brother sewing machine is a little bit of a lighter option if you are looking for something that is easy to move around and bring from place to place. It comes with many accessories that an advanced machine comes with, from the display stitch selector to the built-in free arm.
5. Singer Quantum Stylist 9960
- SINGER COMPUTERIZED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 portable sewing machine has loads of ease-of-use features to allow you to fulfill your creative dreams Has a large selection of stitches including basic, stretch and decorative stitches for fashion sewing, quilting, home decor and crafting There’s even a selection of fonts to personalize projects
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Threading the machine is so easy that you can have the entire machine threaded, from the spool to the needle’s eye, in seconds The built-in needle threader threads the eye of the needle for you, eliminating eye strain and frustration
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has 600 Built-In Stitches including 5 Alphanumeric Fonts and 13 built-in 1-Step Buttonholes with Exclusive Buttonhole Underplate It also has Mirror Imaging and Stitch Elongation providing even more creative possibilities
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has a maximum sewing speed of 850 stitches-per-minute, projects can be sewn quickly
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of presser feet are included with the sewing machine: All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot with Underplate, Button Sewing Foot, Blind Hem Foot, Satin Stitch Foot, Open Toe Foot, Overcasting Foot, Darning and Embroidery Foot, Rolled Hem Foot, Cording Foot, Straight Stitch/Quilting Foot, Even Feed / Walking Foot 110 volt machine designed for United States and Canadian use only
- Stitches: 600
- Product size: 17.2 X 8.2 x 12 inches, 43.7 x 20.8 x 30.5 centimeters
- Product weight: 20 lbs, 9.1 kg
- Warranty: 25 Year Limited
The Quantum Stylist option from Singer has one of the most built-in stitches you will find on a sewing machine. This machine is for those looking to sew with style and make their sewing jobs a little more artistic. Once you have the basics mastered, you will be able to take on larger product and choose almost any design you like. These attributes make it a candidate for the best sewing machine for beginners.
4. Brother XR9500PRW Project Runway
- Metal frame: The Brother Designio DZ1234 is a durable 3-4 thread serger made with a metal frame
- High performance: A high performance 3-4 thread serger with an adjustable stitch width between 3.0 millimeter to 7.0 millimeter allowing you to select the right stitch width for your project
- 1,300 stitches per minute: Create more in less time with the dz1234's fast stitching speed of up to 1,300 stitches per minute
- Easy to thread: Easy-to-use with color-coded thread guides, numbered upper and lower thread loppers, included instructional video and printed manual
- Included accessory feet: The dz1234 comes with 3 accessory feet including blind hem stitch, gathering and piping feet in addition to 2 sets of starter thread
- Stitches: 100
- Product size: 20.3 X 12.7 x 17.6 inches, 51.6 x 32.3 x 44.7 centimeters
- Product weight: 9.92 lbs, 4.5 kgs
- Warranty: N/A
Brother offers another option that is incredibly lightweight while maintaining its ease of use. It is one of the most popular products on the market for the best sewing machine for beginners simply because it is not too complex, but it has enough to teach the basics and can be taken wherever you go.
3. Brother Sewing Laura Ashley CX155LA
- This model comes complete with a full set of accessories, including 11 sewing and quilting feet, and an extra wide table
- Features a large, backlit LCD display for easy viewing, an advanced needle threading system, adjustable speed control, and the Brother exclusive jam resistant, Quick-Set top drop-in bobbin
- 100 built-in stitches, including 8 one-step auto-size buttonhole styles, plus 55 alphanumeric stitches for basic monogramming
- Brightly Lit LED work area; Advanced easy needle threading system; Maximum Sewing Speed (Stitches Per Minute): 850
- Variable speed control and start/stop button; Smooth fabric feeding utilizing 7-point feed dogs
- Stitches: 100 Built-In
- Product size: 17.3 X 8 x 12.5 inches, 44 x 20.3 x 31.8 centimeters
- Product weight: 18 lbs, 8.2 kgs
- Warranty: N/A
There are sewing machines out there with plenty of helpful tools and accessories, but sometimes they can be confusing. The Laura Ashley Sewing machine is a rare case where many accessories are available and are created for beginners. This machine is created with both sewing and quilting features, as well as a wide table for steady stitching.
2. Singer Stuart 1234
- Stitches: 6 Built-In
- Product size: 13 X 7 x 11.5 inches, 33 x 17.8 x 29.2 centimeters
- Product weight: 12.7 lbs, 5.8 kg
- Warranty: N/A
When looking for the best sewing machine for beginners, sometimes it’s best to start with very few stitches and master the technique first. The Stuart 1234 only has six stitches which allow the user to focus on perfecting the basics of sewing first before moving on to the machines that have numerous amounts of built-in stitches and complex accessories.
1. Singer Simple 3223G Handy Sewing Machine
- Stitches: 23 Built In
- Product size: 15 X 7.5 x 12 inches, 38 x 19 x 30.5 centimeters
- Product weight: 12.2 lbs, 5.5 kgs
- Warranty: N/A
Another great option for mastering the basics is the Simple 3223G Handy Sewing Machine. It has more stitches than the Stuart 1234 which makes it a little more helpful for those bigger jobs. On the other hand, this machine has a built-in bobbin winding tool which can make the process a lot easier for the user. As a bonus, it also has an easy threading tool.
Now that you have looked at the top 7 options for the best sewing machine for beginners, it should be a bit easier to determine what you need to get started. It’s time to go out and get a machine like the Singer 7258, or Brother CS6000i to learn how to sew today!
Top recommended read: