If you do a lot of sewing or enjoy tackling tough projects, you’ll need a heavy duty sewing machine. A quick search on the Internet will show plenty of available options but only a few of them have earned consistently high ratings.
Here are the five best heavy duty sewing machines, each with their very own special features which you will likely love. The products are ranked by the overall customer rating, and in reverse order finishing with the highest rated machine.
5. Brother Sewing Machine, ST371HD Sewing Machine
- Stitches: 37 stitch patterns, 14 utility stitches, plus stretch stitches, and more
- Product size: 7.9 x 16.1 x 12.2 inches/ 20 x 40.9 x 31.9 centimeters
- Product weight: 18.4 pounds/ 8.3 kilograms
- Warranty: 25-year limited warranty
The next option on your list is both strong and tough. It’s a Brother that has 37 standard stitches, plus hardwearing needles. With 6 quick-change sewing feet, this machine will handle all fabric thicknesses and weights. You can sew material as tough as denim, or as soft as silk.
4. Janome HD3000 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
- Automatic Needle Threader - No More Straining Your Eyes! Simply Use the Built-In Automatic Needle Threader and Throw Your Frustrations to the Side! / Jam Proof Top-Loading Bobbin System - It's Easy To Change Your Bobbin and There is No Need to Worry About Running Off the Edge of Your Project Because the Bobbin System is Jam-Proof
- Easy Stitch Selection - Simply Turn the Stitch Selection Dial to the Desired Stitch and the Chosen Stitch Will Appear in Red / Flip-Up Stitch Panel - Take a Look at All 18 Built-In Stitches at a Glance with the Flip-Up Stitch Panel
- Adjustable Presser Foot Pressure - A Simple Turn of the Dial will Adjust the Presser Foot Pressure Allowing you to Sew a Wide Variety of Fabric Thicknesses / Free Arm Capability - Sew Pants Legs and Shirt Sleeves with Ease Using the Free-Arm
- Comes With an Incredible Amount of Accessories - A Hard Case/Cover, Ultra Glide Foot, 2 Packs of Leather Needles, a Pack of Universal Needles, a Pack of Bobbins, Blind Hem "G" Foot, Overedge "C" Foot, Rolled Hem "D" Foot, Zipper "E" Foot, Buttonhole "B" Foot
- Also Comes With - Automatic Buttonhole "R" Foot, a Pack of Needles, Screwdriver, Small Screwdriver, Spool Holder (Large), Spool Holder (Small), Lint Brush, Seam Ripper, Additional Spool Pin, Bobbin, Quilter Bar, Felt, Foot Control/Power Cord, Warranty Card and Instructional Manual
- Stitches: 18 built-in stitches
- Product size: 19 x 10 x 14.7 inches/48.2 x 25.4 x 37.3 centimeters
- Product weight: 22 pounds/ 10 kilograms
- Warranty: 25 years free from defects, 5 years electrical (through authorized dealer)
If you want a very basic heavy-duty sewing machine that runs smoothly, is very easy to thread, and quiet, then the Janome HD3000 is for you. It sews very quickly and comes with lots of useful accessories, like extra bobbins, an ultra glide foot, special feet for garment weight leather and pleather, an automatic buttonhole foot, screwdrivers, lint brush, spool holders, and more. With this machine, sewing upholstery fabric and (heavy) denim has never been easier. It is hands down a machine that is very easy to use, excellent for absolute beginners.
Free arm capability (for pants legs, shirt sleeves)
Adjustable presser foot pressure (with a simple turn of the dial)
Hard case included
Included 6 presser feet (blind hem foot, rolled hem foot, overedge foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, zig-zag foot)
Sews up to 4oz of leather (2 packs of leather needles included; you’ll need a walking foot)
Automatic needle threader
Auto tension (no need to change anything between different types of fabrics)
Very basic machine
No extension table (for larger pieces of fabric)
3. Singer Heavy Duty 4423 Sewing Machine
- SINGER HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: The 23 built-in stitches including basic, stretch, decorative, and buttonhole stitches allow you to sew a variety of projects, such as fashions, home décor, quilts, crafts, and more
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER SEWING MACHINE: After following the threading path printed right on the machine, this built-in feature helps you to effortlessly thread the eye of the needle without eye strain or frustration. Amps (0.7). Watts (84). Volts (120). Hz (60)
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE:The Singer 4423 Sewing Machine has a maximum sewing speed of 1, 100 stitches-per-minute, so projects can be sewn quickly. The 60% Stronger Motor provides greater piercing power for thick seams
- HEAVY DUTY METAL FRAME: The Singer 4423 heavy duty sewing machine is a true workhorse. With a heavy-duty metal interior frame, stainless steel bedframe, extra-high sewing speed and powerful motor, this sewing machine can sew through a variety of heavy weight fabrics and provides long lasting stability
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of accessories are included with All-purpose foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, seam ripper/lint brush, quilting guide, needles, bobbins, screwdriver, auxiliary spool pin, spool pin felt are all conveniently located and stored in the accessory tray. A soft-sided dust cover is also included in the packaging
- Stitches: 23 standard stitch patterns, with 12 decorative patterns, and other specialty stitches
- Product size: 15.5 x 6.2 x 12 inches/ 39.4 x 15.7 x 30.5 centimeters
- Product weight: 17.1 pounds/ 7.7 kilograms
- Warranty: 25-year warranty
Singer is one of the most popular brands of sewing machines in the world. This heavy-duty model is made with the Singer guarantee of excellence. It includes a motor that is rated 60% stronger than standard sewing machines. You can check out our Singer Heavy Duty 4423 Review 2018 for all its neat features and more.
2. Brother XR9500PRW Project Runway™ Limited Edition
- Metal frame: The Brother Designio DZ1234 is a durable 3-4 thread serger made with a metal frame
- High performance: A high performance 3-4 thread serger with an adjustable stitch width between 3.0 millimeter to 7.0 millimeter allowing you to select the right stitch width for your project
- 1,300 stitches per minute: Create more in less time with the dz1234's fast stitching speed of up to 1,300 stitches per minute
- Easy to thread: Easy-to-use with color-coded thread guides, numbered upper and lower thread loppers, included instructional video and printed manual
- Included accessory feet: The dz1234 comes with 3 accessory feet including blind hem stitch, gathering and piping feet in addition to 2 sets of starter thread
- Stitches: 100 pre-set stitches (alphanumeric, heirloom, decorative, and utility)
- Product size: 20.3 x 12.7 x 17.6 inches/ 51.5 x 32.2 x 44.7 centimeters
- Product weight: 9.92 pounds/ 4.5 kilograms
- Warranty: 5-year limited warranty
The Brother XR9500PRW Project Runway Limited Edition is a true work horse that can handle nearly any type of thick fabric as long as you use the correct needles and threads. From upholstery fabrics and quilting projects to denim hems and thick canvas, there’s nothing this sewing machine cannot handle.
On top of that, the XR9500PRW is intuitive enough for absolute beginners but it won’t let down experienced users either. It was built for years to come. Its only major drawback is that you’ll have to pay extra for basic quilting feet like the walking foot, the ¼ inch foot, or the spring action foot. If you are really into quilting though, we recommend buying the CS6000i. (Check out our full Brother CS6000i review here!)
For in-depth info on the XR9500, see our full Brother XR9500PRW review here!
1. JUKI TL-2000Qi Sewing and Quilting Machine
- Updated with LED lights and one pedal operation
- 1500 SPM for quilting apparel and home décor
- Automatic needle threader
- Aluminum die cast arm and bed for low vibration operation
- Extension table included for wide work area
- Stitches: 24 standard stitch patterns, including ¼-inch quilting pattern
- Product size: 17.8 x 8.6 x 13.8 inches/ 45.2 x 21.8 x 35 centimeters
- Product weight: 36 pounds/ 16.3 kilograms
- Warranty: Limited 5-year Warranty
One nice feature of this heavy duty sewing machine is the single pedal operation. The JUKI TL-2000Qi Sewing and Quilting Machine uses only one-foot pedal. It sews at a remarkable rate of 1,500 stitches per minute. Quilters will also find this machine strong enough to handle tough quilting jobs.
These are five of the best heavy duty sewing machines. Each of them has something that makes them stand out, but we cannot say that the perfect heavy duty machine has been invented. If you’ve tried out any of these models, let us know about your experience. And let us know about any models that didn’t make it to our list but you feel that they should be included here.
Top recommended read: